Thursday, January 11, 2007

ketchup

Capella and I got married last weekend in Montreal. I'm not sure why, but I hadn't discussed any of the preparations here.

We're still feeling overwhelmed by all the love. We've conservatively guessed that we had about 200 hugs that day from almost all of the people we really care about. Impossible to properly express my gratitude and love to everyone. Thanks for the beautiful singing.

We went to Quebec City for a few days for a little honeymoon. We both speak french passibly well, but there's no way we'd pass for native speakers. In the off-season between New Year's and Carnival, however, it was good enough that most people continued speaking French to us. The night we arrived we went out to a little pub with a great beer list and ordered some food. Capella explained her allergy to nuts, and when our food was served the waitress clearly explained that my fries had been fried in peanut oil, and that Capella shouldn't touch them.

A little while later when our waitress passed by, I asked for some ketchup (in French, of course). From that point on, she spoke to us exclusively in English. There wasn't anything funny about how I asked the question. It's just that only an anglophone would ask for ketchup with his fries.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tu t'es trompe, je pense. On dit "bonne journee" et "bonne soiree" en France aussi. Ta mere.